The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators' mission is to promote quality services in the field of legal interpreting and translating. Our members play a critical role in ensuring due process, equal protection and equal access for non-English or limited English proficient (LEP) individuals who interact with the judicial system.
As of 2011, membership in the National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators totals over 1200 professionals , and includes practicing spoken language judiciary interpreters and translators, as well as those who interpret or translate in other settings, judges, Ph.D. linguists, educators, researchers, students, administrators, and managers of non-profit community language bureaus and for-profit language agencies. NAJIT boasts a growing number of interpreters who work between English and American Sign Language (ASL). While most of our membership resides in the U.S, some members live and work in Latin America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Anyone with an interest in the field of judiciary interpreting and translating or who shares NAJIT's interests and objectives is welcome to join.
Have you checked out the presentation schedule for this year's NAJIT Annual Conference in Atlanta, Georgia on May 15th-17th? Check out the schedule, register online, and reserve your hotel room today! All of the Annual Conference information can be found here!
- March 27, 2015--In this week's NAJIT blog post, we see the two sides of the NAJIT certification exam: Janis Palma, explaining why we need to keep the NAJIT certification exam, and Bethany Korp-Edwards, explaining why the NAJIT certification exam should no longer be administrated. Melinda Gonzalez-Hibner opens with an introduction that gives a little history of the exam, and asks YOU what NAJIT should do. Should NAJIT continue to offer the exam, or put it away? The Board asks the membership to weigh in! Please read the whole post here, and share your thoughts/opinions on the comments section of the blog!
- March 20, 2015-- Non Native Spanish interpreters: Are you often met with wariness or doubt because you are not a native Spanish speaker? Read this week's NAJIT blog post today here, and share your thoughts!
- March 18, 2015-- Active NAJIT members: Apply for the Susan E. Castellanos-Bilodeau Scholarship for the 2015 NAJIT Annual Conference! Read the details here, and remember that all applications are due April 15, 2015!
- March 16, 2015-- Congratulations to our 5 NAJIT Scholars! David Garcia, Myhanh Che, Liz Essary, Veronica Escobar, and Melina Coria were selected this year, and we are looking forward to meeting them at the 2015 NAJIT Annual Conference!
- March 13, 2015-- Read about professionalism in this week's NAJIT blog post here, and share some of your suggestions on how to exercise professionalism in the courtroom!
- March 6, 2015-- In this week's NAJIT blog post, Jennifer de la Cruz reflects on her time as a court interpreter, and the experiences she has had. She makes a list of her "top ten truths" that she has learned from working in the court. Can you add anything to the list? Do you have any advice for new court interpreters? Read the post, and comment/share today here!
- February 27, 2015-- It's that time of year again! Certification candidates are gearing up and getting ready for the oral portion of the certification exam. Read all about Janis Palma's habits for success on this week's NAJIT blog post here! Comment/share any tips/tricks you have for your colleagues!
- February 26, 2015-- Calling all volunteers! NAJIT's Blog Sub-Committee is looking for new bloggers! Do you want to work with your colleagues to help further the discussion about the T & I profession? We would love your contribution on NAJIT's weekly blog! Read the whole call here, and apply today!
- February 13, 2015-- Why can't all words be so simple? In this week's NAJIT blog post, Athena Matilsky discusses the scenarios interpreters often go through when they have to interpret something with words that are very nuanced. Read today here, and discuss how you handle a situation like this!
- February 6, 2015-- This week's NAJIT blog post by Jennifer de la Cruz features the 2015 NAJIT Scholars Program! Make sure to read her whole blog post here, because you may want to apply!
- February 5, 2015-- The 2015 NAJIT Scholars Program is now accepting applications! Read all of the guidelines and procedures here, and find the application here! All applications are due March 2, 2015.
- January 30, 2015-- In this week's NAJIT blog post, Jennifer De La Cruz shares some exciting news about Language Access in California! Have you seen California's new plan? What do you like about? What would you change? Does your state have a language access plan? Comment and share in the comments section on Jennifer's blog post here!
- January 21, 2015-- AOCs: Can't find an interpreter with the right credentials in our Directory? Have a special need? If your court needs an interpreter and can't find one, we are happy to help! Just fill out the form found on our website here, and NAJIT will post your needs directly on all of NAJIT's social media, as well as email it out to our entire membership and colleagues.
- January 15, 2015-- NAJIT is currently looking for members to become the new Proteus Editors and staff. Please review the description of Protues, the duties of the Proteus team, and what to do if you would like to apply to be apart of the Proteus team here!
- January 5, 2015-- NAJIT Members: The newest edition of Proteus is now out! Check out the 2014 Fall/ 2015 Winter XXVII, No. 4 Proteus today! Remember, you must be a NAJIT member and logged into your account to view Proteus.
- December 4, 2014 -- Information for NAJIT's 36th Annual Conference in May 2015 is now online! Check it out here to see the hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, reserve your room, see when registration opens, and more! All of the information you need to know about NAJIT's 36th Annual Conference will be on this site (programs, exhibitors, CE credits, etc.)- keep checking for updates!
- December 2, 2014 -- Don't miss the opportunity to increase your visibility with the growing community of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators who are members of NAJIT and who attend our annual conference every year. Register to be a sponsor or an exhibitor at NAJIT's 36th Annual Conference on May 15th-17th, 2015 in Atlanta, GA today! Click here to see the registration packet. Exhibitor space is limited, reserve your spot today!